Sunday, January 08, 2006

Kapil's quote

Cross Posted from Pencil (12/20/2005)

Retirement at thirty five, in any profession, will seem pre-mature, no matter how much one has earned or how hard he has worked to get there. It is only obvious that cricket players take to commentary or umpiring or coaching to stay in touch with the game and still continue to make a living.

Kapil Dev, by the time he retired, was the highest wicket taker in Test cricket and was happy to call it a day. However he soon returned to the game as coach and also tried commentating, following the footsteps of Gavaskar. I used to laugh to tears when Kapil was at the commentary box. He thought Richards was plural for Richard and Jones was plural for Jone. I am sure he was wondering how Richard had a son when he was 10 years old - I mean Richardson.

Cricinfo had a recent quote from Kapil that reminded me of his days as an expert commentator.

"My dad is 70, my mother is 60. The chances of another Kapil are close to zero."
Kapil Dev on being asked when India will see another Kapil Dev.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home